A Nurse Aide (NA), also known as a Nursing Assistant, is an important member of the health care team. NAs provide basic patient care under the direction of nursing staff, and help with basic patient hygiene and tasks related to proper maintenance of healthcare facilities. NAs may feed, bathe, dress, groom, move/reposition patients and change linens.
MGCC offers a workforce training program to prepare students for the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) Examination, the licensing examination that is required by many employers. The NNAAP Exam is made up of a Written (or Oral) Examination and a Skills Evaluation, both of which must be passed to be certified as a Nurse aide in Virginia.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Answer patient call signals, signal lights, bells, or intercom systems to determine patients' needs.
- Turn or reposition bedridden patients.
- Provide physical support to assist patients to perform daily living activities, such as getting out of bed, bathing, dressing, using the toilet, standing, walking and exercising.
- Review patients' dietary restrictions, food allergies, and preferences to ensure patient receives appropriate diet.
- Measure and record food and liquid intake or urinary and fecal output; report changes to medical staff.
- Record vital signs, such as temperature, blood pressure, pulse, or respiration rate, as directed by medical staff.
Successful completion of this course and certification exam will award the following credential(s):
- MGCC Certificate of Completion and National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) certification
The following materials are included in the tuition:
- Hartman’s Nursing Assistant Care: The Basics, 5th Edition, Hartman Publishing, ISBN 978-1-60425-100-5
- Workbook, for Hartman’s Nursing Assistant Care: The Basics, Hartman Publishing, ISBN 978-1-60425-101-2
- NNAAP Certification Exam
- Background check, drug screen and Hepatitis-B 3-shot series (optional; cost included)
- BLS CPR certification class
Students are responsible for the following materials/supplies and/or requirements:
- Pens, pencils, notebooks, and other personal classroom supplies.
- Scrubs (smock and pants required for optional externship)